1. Retinol: A derivative of vitamin A, retinol stimulates collagen production, evens and plumps out skin, reducing fine lines and wrinkles. It also improves skin tone and color, and reduces pigmentation and age spots. However, only using a retinol-based product may cause the epidermis to become dry and flaky, so don’t forget to wear moisturizer and sunscreen in the morning after you use it.
2. Alpha-Lipoic Acid: It’s produced in the body and hence present in every cell. Alpha-lipoic acid is known to erase fine lines and wrinkles, diminish pores, boost collagen production and give radiant skin.
3. Peptides: Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Acetyl Hexapeptide-8 are popular forms of peptide which are short chains of amino acids that can penetrate the topmost layer of your skin and trigger collagen production. Peptides make skin smooth, firm, and younger looking.
4. Ceramides: It’s a kind of lipid that’s naturally found in the skin and helps seal in hydration and moisture, keeping skin supple and soft.
5. Synthetic Collagen: With advance of age, the production of collagen in skin cells declines, and that’s when the skin loses its elasticity and firmness. Synthetic collagen replenishes lost collagen, improve elasticity and firmness of the skin.
6. Green Tea Extract: Green tea is loaded with super-nutrients called polyphenols, which fight free radicals, reduce sun damage and even provide protection from skin cancer. Polyphenols in night creams and lotions may significantly slow signs of aging and reduce sagging skin and fine lines.
7. Vitamin C: With age, collagen and elastin production slows considerably. Collagen and elastin help in keeping skin firm, flexible, and resilient. The antioxidants found in vitamin C are known to boost the production of collagen and minimize fine lines, wrinkles, and scars. Be cautious about not using it during sun exposure.
8. Coenzyme Q-10 (CoQ-10): Essential for zapping free radicals in cells, CoQ-10 is manufactured in body, but diminishes with age thereby making skin cells more vulnerable to damage by free radicals. Hence, the use of this antioxidant in skin care products such as toners, gels, and creams helps reduce “crow’s feet,” “laugh lines” and fine lines across forehead.
9. Caffeine: Skin care companies often add it to lotions and creams based on evidence that shows caffeine could be useful in preventing the growth of skin cancer and, when applied on skin surface, may help in making wrinkles less deep, especially ”crow’s feet” around the eyes.
10. Alpha-hydroxy Acids (AHAs): These include natural acids like glycolic, lactic, citric, and tartaric acids used in a number of skin care products. Glycolic acid, the original AHA, is famous for its ability to remove dead skin cells and leave skin smoother, softer, and more radiant. AHAs exfoliate the skin, reducing fine lines, age spots, acne scars, and uneven skin color. Peels with high concentrations of AHAs are usually given by a beauty specialist or dermatologist.
11. Hyaluronic Acid (HA): HA has become a popular ingredient in all skincare products and that’s because it is helpful in locking in hydration and keeping skin lubricated. It also fills in present wrinkles and diminish their appearance.
12. Bakuchiol: It’s the natural alternative to retinol, which means people who are sensitive to retinol-based products, can now switch to bakuchiol. It addresses signs of ageing such as fine lines, hyperpigmentation, age spots, etc., in the same way as retinol.
13. Glycolic Acid: A wonderful physical exfoliating agent, glycolic acid also boosts collagen production in the skin.
14. Azelaic Acid: This acid is a popular anti-acne agent, but it has exfoliating and anti-ageing properties too with its anti-inflammatory properties and reduces the appearance of melasma and hyperpigmentation.
15. Sunscreen: As we have mentioned above, the main reason why skin shows premature signs of ageing, is because we tend to skip sunscreen. It’s our sincere advice – make sunscreen your skin’s best friend! Also read: “10 Best Fragrance Free Sunscreens in India.”
8 Best Anti-Ageing Night Creams for Dry Skin
Retinol Products and why you can Bank on Them