The Duke of York, disgraced from his association with the late pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, had been set to attend the service of thanksgiving at St Paul’s Cathedral on June 3, alongside other members of the royal family. The service, part of the queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations, will commemorate Elizabeth’s 70 years on the throne.
A source close to the duke told HuffPost that Andrew “is naturally disappointed and saddened that he will not be able to join other royal family members” at the service.
Andrew had been in contact with the queen “in the last few days,” the palace said. But he had not had contact with his mother, Queen Elizabeth, after testing positive, according to royal reporter and “Finding Freedom” author Omid Scobie.
Prince Andrew’s presence at the Platinum Jubilee celebrations was a source of controversy. He recently reached an out-of-court settlement with Virginia Giuffre, who accused him in a lawsuit filed in New York City of sexually assaulting and abusing her when she was a minor in 2001.
Andrew continues to deny the allegations.
This is a developing story, please check back for updates.